Sunday, May 8, 2011

Song for my mother

If my mother gave me anything at all (and of course she did) she gave me a love for music. She was never much for popular music though, even from her own era.  Her passion was for classical music and especially Opera.  Luckily, she also appreciated comic operettas like those by Gilbert &  Sullivan.  Movie musicals were also enjoyed by our family, particularly My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music.

Now that my mother suffers from dementia and her communication skills are sometimes next to none, the only really bright part of her life is her music.  When my sisters or I visit and we put on a recording of one of her favourite pieces, she is immediately transported into a higher realm of existence.  Sometimes, even though she can barely talk, or recognize who we are, she will remember song lyrics and sing along.
When I first discovered the singing sensation Paul Potts, star of Britain's Got Talent -- thanks to the wonders of Youtube and social media, I decided that my mother would really enjoy listening to him.  So that Christmas I gave her his first CD.  My mother has always been the most stringent music critic I have ever known, and even more so now, when she would certainly not hold back her opinion for fear of hurting anyone's feelings.  So when I knew that she really liked his CD, it was high praise indeed!

His second CD, which this cover is from is not quite as popular with us, but it does have this song, which is very appropriate for Mother's Day





I believe Paul Potts does a much nicer version of this song in Italian than Il Divo does in English. Here is a translation of the first two verses, (which is the part of the song that is the most meaningful for me).

Mama thank you for who I am thank you for all the things I'm not
Forgive me for the words unsaid for the times I forgot
Mama remember all my life you showed me love, you sacrificed
Think of those young and early days how I've changed along the way

And I know you believed and I know you had dreams
And I'm sorry it took all this time to see
That I am where I am because of your truth
And I miss you yeah I miss you


I hope all you mothers out there have a lovely day! :)

5 comments:

JaneGS said...

What a lovely post. I have heard of Paul Potts, but never really listened to him...now I want the Passione CD!

Both of my parents love(d) opera, but when my Dad started suffering from dementia, he started not liking it and now refuses to stay in the same room when it's on. This really surprised me, but this dreadful condition takes so many weird turns.

I love the song and images in the video. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. It's so hard to watch the people we love change in this way. You know that the woman you love is still in there, somewhere, and that music is the way to get in touch with her. Your mother raised a lovely daughter.

bccmee said...

Wow, this music transcends language.

Anonymous said...

Your post really moved me. I would love to have that kind of relationship and feelings for my mother. Unfortunally I have not - and for that I am truly sorry.

Phylly3 said...

@JaneGS -- If you click on the link for Britain's Got Talent you will see Paul perform Nessum Dorma on the show. It is such a moving moment I can watch it over and over. I think he does a better job of that song that Pavarotti. So DO get his first album "One Chance" too! Every song on it is a gem!
@Servetus -- Why thank you very much! Your mother did an excellent job with you too! :)
@bccmee -- Actually I think it IS a language all its own! ;)
@Alfie -- Well, no mother is perfect but as long as they can give and receive love there may be still hope for a relationship. I wish you the best, but know that whatever happens with your mother, your life is worthwhile and you are deserving of love.