Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Highwayman

I have been really lazy about blogging lately.  But it's almost the end of April and I didn't want to miss posting something for poetry month!

Many of us Richard Armitage fans have seen some resemblance between the character of Guy of Gisborne in the BBC's television version of Robin Hood and The Highwayman of the poem by Alfred Noyes.



I've been thinking about posting this lovely wall paper for quite some time.
Wall paper by TygerMag

Then, last month there appeared another tie-in between Richard Armitage and The Highwayman that was discovered by the blogger at The Heirs of Durin. Please follow the link and check out her post.



One of my favourite Canadian songstresses is known for setting the poem to music. Recently, I stumbled across this fan video set to Loreena Mckennitt's song. I was extremely pleased.  It has been around for almost 2 years now, so I don't know how I missed it.

The Highwayman starring Guy of Gisborne and Marian of Knighton (BBC Robin Hood)
/ by fayzabeam

I was so happy to find this video that I had to contact its creator.  She very kindly provided me with her storyboard for the video which she shared with her middle school class.  



Stay tuned....  Soon I will be posting an interview 
with the creator of this fanvideo -- fayzabeam!


4 comments:

JaneGS said...

I loved that poem as a kid--it was in one of my poetry books--and loved Loreena McKinnet's version, which I've had for years. Amazing you never stumbled on this one before.

The video is great--well done. Thanks for posting.

Phylly3 said...

@JaneGS - I have loved the song for years too. But its interesting that there are so many fan vids out there that I haven't seen yet - older ones I mean. I don't know why they don't turn up in the suggestions more often.
Thanks for visiting. :)

Fanny/iz4blue said...

Love that story board for the poem! I've familiar w Loreena's song since she came on the folk scene and pleased I saw her live too. I've seen the fanvid ages ago (I'm sure I DL it too) it doesn't show up often in the suggested list compared to others nevertheless I'm surprised you haven't seen it before :)
My first thought when your post appeared in my inbox was of Angie's novel in progress and I spotted you've discussed it on twitter :)

kofika said...

An Internet world is really an ocean. Sometimes you need a luck to dig out a treasure. Thanks, Phylly. I was moved by this video. It's plot and atmosphere were very romantic, filled with emotions, which remind me "Ballads and romanses" by Adam Mickiewicz. Literature and film inspiration was really fantastic. The whole thing was beautifully studied and composed with every detail. Fairy Loreena McKennitt as always sung another sad tale about love. I love her climate, her mystic and dark histories.


„Oh night that joined the lover
to the beloved one
transforming each of them into the other”
(Loreena McKennitt: The Dark Night Of The Soul)

Greetings for you and congratulations for fayzabeam from Kofika from Poland.