Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lighten the darkness

A memorial candle brightens the darkness of the season.

Even though this is not a Christmas song, it seems appropriate.

Long as I Can See the Light / CCR


This time of year can be very difficult for people who are far from their loved ones or worse, have lost someone close to them.  The long periods of darkness also lead to depression in some who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).  

Lighting a candle to remember a loved one is a time-honoured custom.  Although it was traditionally done in a church, the practise does not need to be religious.  It does not even have to be a real candle.  If you wish, you can follow the highlighted link to Light a virtual candle.



Wintersong / Sarah MacLachlan


Just belting out a tune can help to lighten a mood. So if you have the blues, there's nothing better than to sing the Blues!


Christmas Blues / Amy Sky and Colin James






The angelic tones of this boys' choir named Liberia is definitely in tune with the Christmas season.



Light the Candles of the World / Liberia



The Jewish holiday of the Festival of the Lights (Hanukkah) started yesterday. Servetus from Me + Richard Blog has made a Chanukkah video starring none other than RA to help celebrate the festival.


Here are some photos of Richard Armitage featured in various roles, illuminated by candlelight .
 
 As John Thornton in North and South (episode 2)



 As Guy of Gisborne in Robin Hood (series 3).


As Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit (to be released in Dec. 2012)


Bask in the glow of his loveliness and experience the Armitage Effect!


The days are now starting to lengthen again at the passing of the Winter Solstice.  Likewise the lack of news from The Hobbit is over with the release of the trailer!

****UPDATE***
(for Canadians who like Richard Armitage and/or Dawn French)

Tyme4t sent me a note that Vision TV will be showing The Vicar of Dibley Christmas specials (2006) Tonight!: Thursday Dec. 22 (Part 1), and Friday Dec. 23 (Part 2) at 8:00 ET (7:00 Central time)

Watching Harry Kennedy propose to Geraldine Granger lights me up - every time!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How suitable for me to read your post today. To day I have been to the cemetery to visit my brothers grave and to light a candle for him.

Nice and inspiring songs.Thanks :-)

Wish you a MERRY x-mas :-)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, guess my comment didn't register before? I wanted to say thanks for the link love, and also for the recognition that this isn't the easiest time of year for everyone. My doctoral adviser's Yahrzeit is tonight, for example. Some churches have started doing a Blue Christmas service for teh suffering, but society still has a long way to go on this issue. Great post.

Phylly3 said...

Dear alfie: I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I am grateful if my post could be of some comfort to you. I wish you a peaceful and hopeful Christmas season.

@Servetus - Have the comment elves been busy again? I wonder if it happens when I am editing something...?
Thank you for adding your thoughts to this post. I wish that Christmas could be a happy time for everyone, reality doesn't always work that way. All the best of the season to you and Happy Chanukkah!

Anonymous said...

Dear Phylly and Friends,

Merry Christmas to all! And much peace and happiness in 2012!

Ana Cris

bccmee said...

Great song choices, all. I really loved servetus' Chanukkah song sing-along. Thanks for the link. Otherwise I would have missed it. :)

NovemberBride said...

Sarah's Winter Song is soooo wonderful. I found her "A Song for a Winter Night" a couple of weeks ago: I was shopping with a girlfriend and the store was playing it. I stopped, knew it was Sarah but didn't recognize the song. Whipped out my SmartPhone, punched in Soundhound and BINGO, I had my song. Downloaded it immediately...gotta love these SmartPhones!! Amazon yielded her album, thus "Winter Song"!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a lovely Christmas, Phylly. I appears that snow falls here tomorrow.

fitzg

Phylly3 said...

@Ana Cris - Thanks so much for visiting and for your good wishes.
@bccmee - Glad you enjoyed the music. Very happy to point you to Servetus's video.
@NovemberBride - Sarah McLachlan is such a talented singer and songwriter. I wish I had a Smartphone. I bought iTunes giftcards this Christmas. There are so many ways to hear music nowadays!
@fitzg - Thanks and I hope you got your white Christmas!

Thanks for visiting everyone and I hope your Christmas was very special.