Thursday, October 14, 2010

Trapped Miners Rescued!

CBC News - World - All 33 Chilean miners rescued

The world is rejoicing for the family and friends of the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped underground for 69 days. The dramatic rescue took 22 hours to extract each man individually from a capsule lowered down 600 meters after having taken many more days to drill a new shaft to get to the men.
This really seems like incredible good luck that so many were found in fairly good health after such an extended ordeal.
My neighbours and friends were following this story very closely as I live in an area that developed because of the mining industry. My husband has participated on a Mine Rescue Team and knows the effort and training that goes into that endeavour. 


Congratulations to everyone involved in this rescue mission!


This rescue was a very difficult one with many people involved. There were many heroic efforts made to keep these people alive. I am sure we will be hearing more stories as time goes by. Believe it or not I have actually had a tour of an underground mine, and I know how so many people have a fear of dark enclosed spaces. I certainly wasn't underground long enough to have to worry, but it is definitely an unnatural experience to be so far away from the open air.

***UPDATE***(Oct. 15, 2010)
I just found this website: World News Mining Disasters. There are lots of videos and pictures here about various mining disasters around the world. 


 Well.... if I was ever trapped underground I am sure I would have plenty of time to fantasize. I would probably be thinking about when and how I would be rescued. It would be quite likely that this image might come to mind:


Thanks to Mulubinba for suggesting this episode of The Golden Hour
 and to Maria Grazia for providing the film clip!



In Episode 2 of The Golden Hour, Dr. Alec Track is trying to rescue a man who is trapped in a collapsed building  after an explosion. It is a very tense and graphic scene involving an amputation.

More Screencaps below:
This screencap is courtesy of Richard Armitage Central Gallery


This one is from the screencap gallery of Richard Armitage Net
Those pictures are much better than the Face in Hole one I originally did. Thanks again Ladies!



10 comments:

Traxy said...

I'm so happy and relieved that they've all finally been rescued and that they're all in one piece. Finally their families can reunite. :) If it were me, I would've panicked on day one, and they've been down there 69 days!

Happy we have the technology today that allowed them to be rescued, because maybe just 50 years ago, they would have been unreachable. I'm just thinking about "The Ballad of Springhill" sung by The Dubliners, based on the Springhill mining disaster in Nova Scotia in the 1950s. Now there's a dark tune, to say the least. Gives me claustrophobia just listening to it - and to think it was a real event too. No, being rescued is an infinitely better ending!

tyme_4_t said...

It is fantastic and amazing news that these men were all rescued after so many days underground!
I too come from an area known for mining, in fact my dad's dad was a miner in Thorburn, NS so I have coal in my blood. And although I did not know anyone personally in the Westray Mining disaster in Plymouth NS, it affected me because it happened in my home area and all you want to do is help in some way...
I get choked up and get goosebumps everytime I hear "Working Man" by Rita MacNeil and The Men of the Deeps.
So cheers for the miners & their families & to the brave men & women who worked tirelessly to rescue them!

DEZMOND said...

I just knew Armitage had something to do with the whole process of saving the miners! And your pic proves it :)

Avalon said...

I am glad someone posted about this. I have been following this since it happened and was so concerned for the miners and their families. It tore me up because the last two major mining accidents in my country, the miners did not make it out. How terribly tragic to die while trying to put food in your children's mouths. Thankfully, God was with these miners.

Phylly3 said...

@Traxy -- Yes, I was reminded of the Springhill mining disaster too. Most of those men were rescued as well, but they certainly weren't underground as long as these men were!
@tyme_4_t -- I love that song too (Working Man, by Rita McNeil). I almost put a link to it on my blog, but it is such a sad song, and this event is really quite joyful!
@Dezmond - LOL! Mr. Armitage is really very obliging isn't he? ***sigh!*** my hero! :D
@Avalon -- Most of the tragedies occur in coal mines (I believe) which are more dangerous because of the softer ground and the volatile gases. Hopefully, coal mining will soon be a thing of the past. I visited a defunct coal mine in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia which is now like a museum with guided tours. It really opens your eyes to what people had to put up with to make the almighty dollar. (Worse than a Victorian cotton mill, any day!)

Myrtle said...

Wonderful! Well Done to the rescue team and everyone involved.

Phylly3 said...

I agree! Thanks for commenting Myrtle.

mulubinba said...

This is a fantastic story - we were following it too. I visited the mine where two of our miners were trapped for days at Beaconsfield, Tasmania. The space they were trapped in, is recreated in the mine museum and it was tiny! I never forget when both of them walked free after days of tension. We come from a mining district also - i can't imagine what it must be like to work so far underground!

PS: A movie with RA starring as a rescuer would be rather good, imo. The closest I saw was RA in hard hat in Golden Hour helping jane look after a man trapped under a collapsed building.

Phylly3 said...

@mulubinba -- Thanks for the tip about the Golden Hour. I'm not sure if I saw that clip or not...off to Youtube! :)

Nat at RA FanBlog said...

I also live in a mining community where coal mines are some of the main employers of the area. A few years ago, we experienced a local disaster when several miners were trapped and killed in a cave-in, then a few days later the same thing happened to the men on a rescue party. It was sad. There were news reporters from all over buzzing around the small towns in this area. Because of that experience, I had gloomy predictions for the trapped Chilean miners, but I am glad I was wrong and was SO happy to hear that they made it out safe and sound! :)